Hammer Health Sciences Center, Lower Level 2 September 16, 2016 – January 6, 2017
The Columbia University College of Dental Medicine opened a century ago this fall with two students sharing cramped quarters with the medical school. It was only the fourth university-affiliated dental school in the country.
From these somewhat unpromising beginnings grew a school renowned for teaching, research, and service. Merger with the older College of Dental and Oral Surgery of New York in 1923 brought it additional students and faculty and five years later it joined Columbia’s other health science schools on the new campus of what was then called the Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center. Its motto, “Primus Inter Pares” or “First Among Equals” announced its intention to be second to none among American dental schools.
Archives & Special Collections of the Augustus C. Long Health Sciences Library is pleased to announce the opening of a new exhibit on